Friday 20 August 2010

How to change the past

When you are writing a book set in an alternate history, changing the past is simply a matter of your imagination. Being a bit of a perfectionist, I like to keep the history behind the new series of Luke Ballard novels, as much as possible true. It isn't just that it's easier to do that, but more because in some ways, you can pass off explanations of true events as things pertinent to your story. Having an enormous love of history, especially the Tudors, it also has a lot to do with respect.

Although in my books Anne Boleyn is still alive in 1550/51, the way she became Henry VIII's second wife is as it actually happened. Queen Katherine of Aragon's marriage to Henry was declared invalid and he married Anne, who gave him Elizabeth in September 1533 and, in my world, Henry in July 1534. I dispose of Jane Seymour in a few sentences by suggesting that Thomas Cromwell tried to dangle her in front of the King and failed. Anne bides her time before ensuring his downfall. Thus far, I have not included Archbishop Thomas Cranmer, but he is lurking and will, I think, make his appearance in the current book. So, as far as I can, all historical details before 1547 when Henry VIII dies are as accurate as my world can make them.

What is really interesting for the writer of such a world, though, is that, as my thinking progresses on the second book, I see the need to change a few things in the first book, so as to make the transition between Duty of Evil and Treasons, Stratagems & Spoils smoother. So, this weekend, I shall be making those small changes and getting my new writing cabin, The Word Shed, up and running. With the first chapter now safely under my belt, I can relax into the story, see the characters in the setting of Hampton Court, play with ideas and let my fingers rattle over the keys. 3000 words down. Only another 87,000 to go. Bring it on.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that this genre gives almost as much freedom to the writer as fantasy does. That great room for imagination is what attracts a lot of readers and writers to the worlds of 'what if?'. I look forward to reading the finished novels, Avril. Make sure you trumpet their arrival in the world of publication.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do so admire writers who can use the given history and tweak it to their fictional needs. I am looking forward to following this blog so as to learn much about - well, it won't be the Elizabethan period any longer will it? Just be aware that as we go I'll be adding in requests such as '...is X true history, or alternative history?'

    ReplyDelete